Friday, May 13, 2011

What I've Learned

       I have obtained a lot of very applicable knowledge from this course, of which will definitely be helpful in my future endeavors. The solid base of philosophies and tools provides a great way to better understand a situation and handle it in the correct manner.
     In a lot of the case studies, poor decisions were most frequently made under deadlines or because of competition. I think that is very important to remember. When facing an issue, it is necessary to fully think it through. I'd say I still feel like when it comes to issues that serve the public good, I agree with the tactics. Frankly, I still feel public relations has the upper hand on journalism, and when an uneven power relationship exists, it is okay to invade privacy or push the limits according to Bok. I think journalism needs to be bold at this point, and make sure it is doing its job, but also consider ethics throughout the process. The one thing that I can't tolerate are things done for the good of the journalist instead - like manipulating a photo, or publishing something irrelevant for shock value. This class has made me realize I weigh heavy on justice, and the intentions for which an act is taken (serving the public, or serving self).

No comments:

Post a Comment